Download The Dawn Cluster

Get it on Google Play

Year End Good Fortune Cookies

When 2021 began, I had hopes. Well, we all did. Mine were simple - hope for a bit of stability and to finish my next book. Things around here stabilized a little, but the book? It’s coming along, but life, work, even other creative endeavors, all tend to move the book to the sideline. Maybe 2022. That said, 2021 was kind to me, author-wise at least.

Back in February, one of my Dawn Cluster tales was printed in the first SFWG and Cloaked Press anthology, THE DEPTHS OF LOVE. On November 1st, lightning struck again with NIGHTMARE FUEL, the second anthology from the SFWG and Cloaked Press. My story, MAUL GUARD, is one that had been gestating in my noggin for awhile, and I hope it unsettles you all, especially those who enjoyed LOATHSOME VOYAGES, which is FREE right now, nudge nudge wink wink.

Earlier this month, I was thrilled my Dawn Cluster story FIELD DECISION, originally published last year in KYANITE PRESS, is now back in print thanks to the Brand New Publication SYNTHETIC REALITY. If you missed the story the first time around, then scan the QR code below and nab the second issue today. While you’re at it, click on the first issue, too, because it’s absolutely FREE! What better way to discover new authors?

Finally, just this week, a project months in development dropped, and I’m excited to see what you all think of it. Bryce Beattie of STORYHACK Magazine put out the call and myself and seven other sensational science fiction and fantasy writers answered. The result is SIDEARM & SORCERY Volume One, a collection of Modern Fantasy tales wherein the protagonist is just an ordinary person, equipped only with wits and practical tools to overcome fantastical and magical foes or dilemmas. The cover Bryce commissioned is incredible, inspired by the classic Conan paintings of Frank Frazetta, and my contribution, PREY OF THE HAMADAME, was a true labour of love. Setting the novelette in Pittsburgh of 1921 presented a multitude of hurtles, requiring exhaustive research that I only hope wasn’t in vain or comes off as shallow. I do hope, however, that those who read my stories in LOATHSOME VOYAGES, NIGHTMARE FUEL and SIDEARM & SORCERY enjoy the connective tissue they all share…

2022 is calling, kids. May it be kind to you all. It’s time for me to order some General Tso’s and maybe watch Ghostbusters II, so Party Hard (Yet Safe) and Happy New Year!




Comments

Reader Pulse

Author Mark J. Schultis Books

Teaser

Popular Posts